Friday, May 4, 2007

Dr. Peter Cukor

Peter Cukor, a pioneering scientist, teacher and author, passed away last quarter. Peter had a unique gift of never losing sight of the needs of technology users - whether they lived in Boston, MA or Nairobi, Kenya. Peter earned three advanced scientific degrees, led GTE Labs for more than 30 years and extended his knowledge to students at Tufts, Harvard and the Worcester Polytechnic Institute. Peter also shared his expertise with the world through his innovative patents and dozens of peer-reviewed publications.

Peter's obituary is here , and a link to his autobiography, "Before the Silver Cord is Snapped," is here.

On a personal note, Peter was my MA and PhD advisor, mentor and friend. Peter was responsible for exposing me, and many other Tufts students, to the power and potential of technology and particularly on how it could be used to accelerate socio-economic development. Peter was an insightful, honest, and very kind person, and will be sorely missed.

1 comment:

jcukor said...

Hello Karen,

I wanted to introduce myself and thank you for your very kind words about my father on your blog. I had googled his name and found your write-up. I was very touched and am sorry that he is no longer here. Some of his greatest joy and pride was working with bright and motivated graduate students. It clearly seems that you are one of them. Thank you again, knowing that he mattered so much and is also missed by others helps offer some comfort to myself and the rest of his family. My warmest regards Karen,

Jeffrey Cukor